The Gulf Coast Kayak Fishing Association presents an annual Spring Tournament that is the premier kayak fishing tournament of North West Florida.
The Gulf Coast Kayak Fishing Association invites you to join us on facebook to keep up with the most current information.
Tournament Captains Meeting
The Gulf Coast Kayak Fishing Association holds the annual Spring Tournament Captains Meeting at Hooters on Pensacola Beach, Friday night before the Saturday tournament.
The Captains meeting is a great way to meet your fellow anglers, learn about last minute rule changes and recieve door prizes.
In 2010 we started giving away the "Best Dang Tackle Box". This is a raffle to those who participate by donating a new packaged lure, you will recive a chance to win and a ticket. A ticket will be drawn and the overflowing five gallon bucket of lures could be yours! In 2012 the "Best Dang Tackle Box" had grown into two five gallon buckets full of tackle
Grassy Point Campout
The club is planning an overnight fishing trip to the Grassy Point Wildlife Management Area near the Yellow River delta. Grassy Point is located west of Choctaw NOLF off of Hwy 87 in Santa Rosa County.
The primitive campsites provides ready access to the fishing area of Little Catfish and Catfish basins. Redfish,Trout, and Flounder can be found in the marshes, bayous and shallow waters.
We decided to make this event occur on the time change weekends (simi-annual). NOTE: Due to scheduling issues the fall event will not take place on the time change weekend, please note the new date.
- October 25th - 27th, 2013
Hope to see you there!
19 Jan 2013
Each January we hold our annual rigging clinic to help new kayak anglers add, modify, or remove items to/from their kayaks to aid them in the pursuit of the perfect fishing kayak.
Bring your yaks and any rigging projects you have. Take advantage of the experience of others.
If your yak is fully rigged, bring it to show off. Seeing how others have rigged their yaks is half the fun.
Also, if you have yak gear to sell or swap, bring it and we can set up a barter station.
This years event was held at Hot Spots Bait and Tackle in Gulf Breeze, FL.
The 9th Annual GCKFA Spring Tournament
The scheduled Date: May 10th 2014
Location: ShoreLine Park, South Gulf Breeze, FL.
RodnReel Predictions Sever data
Nautical Twilight - 04:01 am
Civil Twilight - 04:32 am
Sunrise - 04:58 am
Sunset - 06:32 pm
Civil Twilight - 06:58 pm
Nautical Twilight - 07:29 pm
High and Low Tide data
High - 09:35 am - - 1.51 ft.
Low - 04:57 pm - - 0.42 ft.
Range - 1.09 ft.
Moon Rise - 02:44 pm
Moon Set - 02:15 am
GCKFA Master Angler Program
Are you the type of kayak angler who constantly strives to improve and aim for trophy fish from several species? If so, the GCKFA Master Angler Program is for you! The Master Angler program is intended to recognize special kayak angling achievements! This event is limited to members of the Gulf Coast Kayak Fishing Association. It's pretty simple, if you catch a qualifying fish you just submit a photograph via email. GCKFA will do the rest. The master angler program is limited to kayak fishing trips and will only include catches made from a kayak or while wading with kayak tethered to the angler.
We are pleased to recognize the following GCKFA Master Anglers, take the challenge and have your name added to the elite!
- Michael Finley
- Kreig Corpstein
- Barrett Fine
- Eric Kaiser
- There is no entry fee or form, however, this event is limited to members of GCKFA. .
- Each catch must meet the big fish limits below.
- Weighing is encouraged - but not required.
- There is no time limit for catching your fish - your catches do not expire after they have been submitted.
- Fish can be caught anywhere in the lower continental 48 states.
- Deliberate falsification of any submissions will result in disqualification. All existing records will be removed and future applications from the angler will not be considered.
- Measuring your catch, all species with forked tails will be measured to the fork; other species will use the pinched tail method of measuring.
GCKFA reserves the right to review, investigate, reject, disqualify, or accept any application submitted or any award granted. In case of disputes, the decision of the Program Committee will be final.
Recognition Tiers: At each level, the accomplished kayak angler will be recognized on the GCKFA website and will be given the opportunity to purchase an embroidered fishing shirt noting their accomplishments.
- The lowest tier is "GCKFA Advanced Kayak Angler". This is for the person who submits a minimum of 3 qualified species.
- The lower middle tier is "GCKFA Expert Kayak Angler". This is for the person who submits a minimum of 5 qualified species.
- The upper middle tier is "GCKFA Elite Kayak Angler". This is for the person who submits a minimum of 7 qualified species.
- The top tier is "GCKFA Master Kayak Angler". This is for the person who submits a minimum of 10 qualified species.
How to submit your catch:
If you catch a qualifying big fish, you must follow the photograph guidelines.
1) Photograph your fish along with an appropriate measuring device (e.g. FL Law Stick) and your kayak
2) The fish must have it's mouth closed and it's nose must be at the "0" mark.
3) Send an eMail to Ted Gorder at firstname.lastname@example.org with photo's of your qualifying catch and a brief story including the date of the catch.
4) Each angler will be allowed to request one species substitution per year. For example, if a member were to land and photograph a substitution, he or she may request that that photograph be allowed as one of their qualified catches. The ruling committee will determine whether or not the size and rarity of the catch should qualify. All rulings are final and may not be challenged.
Species and Minimum Lengths to Qualify
Red Drum (Bull) 32” (See Revision)
Rule Revision: For the Master Angler program category for Redfish. This stems from an article I read about a record being denied by the IGFA. Apparently "transporting" an oversized redfish is illegal in FL. This means that paddling to shore with a bull red in order to snap a picture could get the anglers into trouble. For this reason, I am going to ask that we either snap the picture while on the water or have another angler serve as a witness to the size of the catch or help take the photo.
Tarpon: Requires $50 tarpon tag to possess or harvest. Snatching or spearing prohibited. Contact DMFM for current information.
Tarpon Tag (available only at tax collerctors offices).........$51.50 *Transporting without a permit is illegal*
GCKFA will accept photographic proof of tarpon catch on a kayak of any length if following the catch-photo-release recommendations.
Sailfish 63" minimum length, Angler can harvest one per day. *It is illegal to transport or have in your possession under size or over size fish.*
Sailfish: Measured tip of lower jaw to fork, All landed fish must be reported to NOAA within 24 hours 800-894-5528. HMS permit required in Federal Waters.
GCKFA will accept photographic proof of sailfish catch on a kayak of any length if following the catch-photo-release recommendations.
If you are alone, catch a monster and cannot realistically get it on the yak for a photo, I suggest floating a law stick in the water next to the redfish in a way that clearly shows the length, I will consider other measurement options but they must clearly pass all doubt.
A witness that helps measure and/or photo the catch will be best.
This rule change only applies to redfish, tarpon, and sailfish since all others can be harvested or brought to shore for photo and safe release.
Updated on June 14, 2013
- August edition of the FWCC Marine Fisheries Hot Sheet.
- Congratulations to Eric Kaiser our newest GCKFA Master Angler.
- GCKFA Social - Wednesday, September 18th, 6pm, Hooters on the Beach.
- BOONDOGGLE Oct 11th - 14th Big Lagoon State Park, Perdido Key.
- GCKFA Social - Wednesday, October 16th, 6pm, Hopjacks on Nine Mile Road.
- GCKFA Campout - Fishing Adventure Oct 25th - 27th at Grassy Point.
- GCKFA Social - Wednesday, November 20th, 6pm, Ollie's in Milton.
- GCKFA Social - Wednesday, December 18th, 6pm, Oar House, Pensacola.
- GCKFA Social - Wednesday, January 15th, 2014, 6pm, Hooters on the Beach.
- GCKFA Social - Wednesday, February 19th, 2014, 6pm, Hopjacks on Nine Mile Road.
- GCKFA Social - Wednesday, March 19th, 2014, 6pm, Ollie's in Milton.
- GCKFA Social - Wednesday, April 16th, 2014, 6pm, Oar House, Pensacola.
- GCKFA Social - Wednesday, May 21st, 2014, 6pm, Hooters on the Beach.